Saturday 19 January 2013

The Beginning .... Kind of



It really is about time that I started writing about health, fitness, lifting and eating – after all what else is there to do in life? I’m kidding obviously (or am I?) but really I think it’s important to have a place dedicated for myself about the fitness industry. So with that in mind I present to you Let’s Do Healthy Stuff. I was initially going to call it Lifting Stuff Loads, but I decided to encompass even the most boring forms of exercise, like cardio …

So what will you expect to find here if you on the off chance decide to read up regularly? I don’t claim to be in perfect physical condition like Ryan Reynolds or Mr. Pitt during Fight Club, but what I do know is that despite the countless amounts of pizza, chocolate, beer and unhealthy shit I consume I still keep myself in great shape. The point I’m making is this, people are so afraid that to become healthy they’ll have to go cold turkey and eat only broccoli and chicken for the rest of their lives while sleeping at the gym – that’s not the case. I want to demonstrate to you that it is possible to eat nice food, it is possible to drink, have a social life while at the same time being perfectly content with your figure.

This was me as a kid … the best photo ever may I add. I couldn’t have been older than 15 I think. 

Dick Shot O'Clock

Then as I started growing up people from my school will remember I wasn’t anything special at all in terms of athleticism. Going to University I discovered a shit tonne of booze, bad food but also martial arts. In fact I remember the first Christmas holiday I came back I was pasty, white and fatter than Father Christmas. I kickboxed for a whole year after getting my ass kicked in Malia (first night out, seriously can you believe that?!) after vowing that would never happen again. Fortunately for me the kickboxing school also had a pretty sweet gym and that was where I met my best friend, gym partner and my love for weight lifting. So after kickboxing for a year my body became like this …

It is possible to be lean and eat / drink bad food but you have to be reasonable.
Note this was during university and the horrific diet that entails. Ok sure my genetics may have helped me but by the same token I was partaking in 4 hours of kickboxing a week alongside weight training 5 times. That’s the kinda commitment the first burst takes. Now I’m training only 3 times a week but you need to get that metabolism kick-start in my opinion. So it does show that hard work especially at a younger age can counter act bad dieting ... at least for a while anyway.

So this is me currently, the goal is trying to be a wreck-house Russian and I’m not really there yet but damnit I’m trying. Who knows what I was doing in the pic, maybe a Big Show impression? Whatever, my best mate -- pictured left, LOVES this shot of me making an ass of myself so here it is. I've packed on size, strength and as a result, fat. But that's NOT a problem. People are so scared of fat and extra calories, embrace them. You wait till I link in this blog my man Strong Fong -- the guy is a serious animal and he's literally twice the size and weight he was like a year and a half ago. It's all about what your current goal and target is but it's always better to get bigger first before you start the cutting down process. I might just bulk forever if it means I can eat pizza all the time ... 

Biggest yawn known to man?
What am I doing now? Nursing off 3 months of bad holiday eating and recovering from a iliac crest misplacement. My back is shot to hell but hopefully once I recover I’ll be back to full fitness, ready to pack on Strength and begin a more rigid hypertrophy style of training.

So I hope you enjoyed reading this – I have so much I want to write down but it’ll turn into a damn book so I’m gonna unleash in another post soon. Stay up to date as I’m going to discuss to basics of training, my strength programme, the utmost importance surrounding diet (if I can’t do it at least I can help some of you more motivated people out there) and why technique, form and posture should rule all the exercises you perform in the gym. I don't want to make the gym complicated for those of you who are daunted by the mere word exercise, but I can't stress how damn important it is so get involved and have a good time.

Stay health, stay strong.

Igor.

No comments:

Post a Comment